We’re so excited to announce our new series of professional development workshops… WHAT I WISH I LEARNED AT ART SCHOOL!! Drawing on the talents and expertise of various professionals, The Art Room wants to positively contribute to the development of emerging artists by offering this series of workshops.
The next workshop in this series with HOW TO PREPARE CANVASES AND BOARDS! We’ll cover:
How to stretch a canvas on stretcher bars
- What equipment will I need?
- What are the different types of stretcher bars?
- How do I put stretcher bars together?
- When do I need to use braces?
- An overview of different types of canvas and linen- raw, pre-primed cotton and linens and oil-primed linen
- How to stretch pre-primed canvas
- How to prepare traditional canvases using raw canvas/linen, rabbitskin glue and gesso
- Clear priming raw linen
- What are wedges and how do I use them?
PREPARING PANELS AND BOARDS
- How to seal the surface correctly to protect against Support Induced Discolouration (SID) and water damage
- Clear priming what products to use
- Applying gesso to boards
HOW TO PREPARE CANVASES AND BOARDS
Hosted by artist Merryn Trevethan
Saturday 17th June
$20 (afternoon tea included)
Places are limited
All profits from this series of workshops are being donated to the
Asylum Seeker Resource Centre www.asrc.org.au
19th August- Bookkeeping for artists with Sue Beyer
Save money. DIY so you can spend more on art materials!!!**
In this introductory workshop we will be looking at how to keep better records for our small art business. It’s not as hard as you think! Learning the basics of Manger, a fantastic free program, we will look at keeping track of our receipts, how to create an invoice, spending and receiving money*, export reports you can send to your accountant and prepare quarterly BAS information to help you complete your tax obligations easily. Finally we will look at applying for an ABN as a sole trader.
* The best bit
** The second best bit
Requirements: laptop, paper, something to write with and your tax file numberDownload software prior to workshop at: https://www.manager.io/desktop/download
OTHER IMPORTANT TOPICS WE’LL BE COVERING:
– Taxation for artists
– Artist websites
– How to host a successful exhibition
– Grants and residencies
– Artist Admin (CV, bio, artist statement, proposals and applications)
– Networking, prizes and pricing
We’d also love to hear from YOU! What do you want to learn more about? Please send us your ideas and we’ll find the perfect artists with expertise in these areas to host the workshops.