ABSTRACT THINKING is a new 2 week workshop with artist Wilma Tabacco!
This workshop creates an overview of the range of current and historical abstract practices, in particular geometric and gestural abstraction, and examines motivations for its use in contemporary art.
We will create experimental abstract works with particular focus on composition, colour and spatiality. This will involve abstracting (that is, extracting essence or summarising) from a still life created by objects brought in by the participants.
In the second session we’ll be elaborating and refining some of the experimental pieces to recreate resolved work which manifest the ideas on which they are premised. Throughout the sessions we’ll be discussing possible or intended meaning embodied in the works both individually and in group critiques.
16th and 23rd June
10am – 4pm
Tutor: Wilma Tabacco
PLACES ARE LIMITED
$380 / $340 Concession
Beginners to experienced artists.
– One object from home, to be used in a still life
– Drawing materials of your choice such as paper, cardboard, canvas panel etc
– Coloured materials of your choice such as acrylic paint, pastels, collage materials etc
– Electronic equipment may also be used.
– Drawing paper
– We have some drawing materials to use as well
SOME ABSTRACTION ARTISTS TO EXPLORE PRIOR TO CLASS
Sol Le Witt